Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Running Shoes

It's been a while since I've posted here, especially addressing the exact topic of this "blog" of training hard. I resort today to talk about running shoes. While I was catching up an emails this morning I was spammed by Roadrunner Sports, an online running shoe retailer that does online shoe sales.

Although running shoes are something you have to try on before you like them, I prefer to buy them online because the price is considerably cheaper. I came to the realization yesterday that I've been running competitively for the last 12 of the 22 years of my life. My point being that I know what shoes I like, and what ones I don't. Not to advertise for New Balance, but they have tended to fit me the best.

In Fall 2007 a former apartment mate who now works in Germany for Adidas designing shoes gave me some counsel on what shoes to go for and which to stay away from given my running style, body shape, and the type of running I was doing. As an erudite individual in the running shoe business, he did not advocate for Adidas beyond other brands, but simply stated there was no one good shoe for everyone. After giving him information about my becoming akin to New Balance products, he suggested I try out the MR901 -- a lightweight training shoe that does not have much heal buildup.

I had previously been training (and racing) with extremely cushioning and therefore, heavy, running shoes to prevent as much injury as possible. Although they did their job, my stride turnover was affected first because of their weight, but also because of the buildup under the heal which keeps your feet always on a "down hill" despite level ground. This has not only proven to increase impact to your leg since you are landing on your heel, it also creates an odd sensation of balance between each step (for me, other longer-distance runners such as my father think otherwise).

The good news: I did not get injured for the lifetime of the shoes, I picked my turnover up, my running form improved, and so did my performances in events ranging from 5K-13.1mi. The bad news: when it came time to get new running shoes, New Balance discontinued/improved the shoe and now was onto the MR903, having had made the MR902 in the process.

Given the greater availability of the MR903 and the matching color to Bruin Blue & Gold, I decided to go with the MR903. Every New Balance shoe I've work I've been a 10D. Even though these had more toe-room in the forefoot, these seemed a bit large. After a few runs I realized I needed a size down, the 9.5D. But the fit guides online said order your size +0.5 to get your true size. The outcome would have been no different of needing to purchase yet another pair, but the guide was definitely askew.

Although the MR901 I used last year fit me better than my MR903 in 9.5, I decided to start searching now via the email I received this morning to make sure I can at least get the same shoe again. And to my dismay, my size is not available anywhere on the world wide web, and the shoe does not have any obvious successor...

Oh the joys of finding a shoe that works for you, and being able to use it for more than just 400 miles of running...

No comments: